How To Keep Dry, Flaky Lips Away
Introduction: What are the Causes of Dry, Flaky Lips?
The lips are one of the most sensitive parts of our body. They are prone to dryness and chapping. This is because the skin on our lips is thinner than anywhere else on our bodies. The skin on our lips also has no oil glands, which makes it more susceptible to drying out and peeling.
Dry, flaky lips can be caused by many different factors including climate, genetics, medications, health conditions, and diet. With the cold dry weather rushing in, one of the fastest effects on our skin is dry, flaky lips. Even worse dry lips often crack and split causing bleeding and scabbing. Wearing lip products on flaky lips can also be bothersome; causing splits and bumps in lipstick application. Here is how to prevent dry lips this fall
How To Prevent and Cure Dry, Flaky Lips
Preventing dry, flaky lips involves keeping a consistent routine of exfoliation and moisturizing.
- Exfoliate your lips 2 to 3 times a week. This allows you to remove dead skin which causes your lips to flake
- Apply a lip balm with SPF daily in the mornings and evenings. The lip balm should contain SPF for protection
- For extra lip care, swap out your lip balm on certain days for lip oil or some petroleum jelly for extra nourishment.
Things to Keep In Mind For Healthy Lips
- Keep a lip balm or Vaseline on you always for reapplication once your lips get dry
- Consider a lip mask treatment for increased nourishment
- Avoid wetting your lips with your tongue when they are dry. This may cause momentary relief but the speed of evaporation means the lips with dry up frequently which leads to cracking.