The Ultimate Guide to Applying Mascara - Tips, Tricks & Techniques
No look is complete without a swipe or two of mascara. Adding extra volume to your lashes elevates your look from basic to baddie. Even on no-make-up days, mascara and lip gloss do the trick. Mascara is a cosmetic product used to enhance the appearance of eyelashes. As basic as this cosmetic product seems, some people struggle with its application and we will love to change that. Keep reading to find out how.
How To Apply Mascara
1) The basic method: Spoolies are actually really good at curling lashes because they have a conical shape that allows them to grab hold of the lash base without crushing it. You can use this method by pressing the brush into the lash band on the outer edge, and then pulling it out while holding the brush at a 90-degree angle from your eye.
2) The "up and down" method: This is what you might do when you want curls that are more dramatic to last for a long time. Starting about two-thirds of an inch from your eye, take a small amount of mascara in the brush, hold the bristles parallel to your skin with one hand, and then move them up and down gently but steadily. For this technique be sure not to curl too hard or you'll get rid of some lashes before others.
3) The "swirl" method: If you want really dramatic lashes, swirl the bristles of your brush up and down through the lash base. Start at the root, then take a short upward motion to start curling. Follow that with a downward motion to finish curling.
Mascara Application Tips
Applying mascara can be a tricky task, but with any of the methods provided above you can achieve the desired volume with your lashes. However, there are some tips that can help you get even more out of your mascara application
- Curl your lashes. This will allow your mascara to adhere better and give you a more dramatic look. Curling can also help with flaking and clumping, but it's up to you which technique you choose. Use a lash curler or a spoolie with no product just before applying mascara
- Use a mascara primer. This may seem a little extra, but lash primers do up your mascara game. They help the lashes hold up for longer and give the mascara a base to adhere to.
- Waterproof mascara is often a better option especially if you live in a humid environment.
- Go in with a clean spoolie after your first coat of mascara to separate the lashes.
- If you absolutely cannot prevent smudging or staining, use an eye shield to protect your eyelids and under-eye area from stains
Common Mistakes To Avoid When Applying Mascara
- Overloading the wand. Too much product will lead to stains and smudges. It is best to remove excess product from the wand before application
- Curl your lashes before applying mascara and not after. Curling them after can cause the lashes to clump together
- Don’t share or use another person’s mascara. It is not hygienic.
- Do not apply mascara on dirty lashes. Ensure the makeup from the previous day has been completely removed